We’ve held these same beliefs for over 150 years. Because although times change, the good news of Jesus stays the same. Here’s a summary of our core beliefs:
- We believe in the one, holy, sovereign, creating and redeeming God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the divine inspiration and entire trustworthiness of the Bible, its infallible teaching and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct; and its normative value for all peoples, at all times, in all cultures.
- We believe that all people without distinction are made in the image of God, but all are now sinners and have incurred both God’s holy wrath and their own shame and guilt. All are therefore in utter need of redemption.
- We believe in Jesus Christ our Lord, the incarnate Son of God, uniquely God-man and the only Saviour. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, sacrificial death, bodily resurrection and ascension. We believe He has achieved the final defeat of Satan and all evil powers.
- We believe in the justification of sinners by God’s grace, through faith in Christ alone.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit and His convicting, regenerating, sanctifying and reviving work. He guides and empowers individuals and churches in their service to God and all people.
- We believe in the unity and priesthood of all believers who together form the one, holy, universal, apostolic church.
- We believe in the visible, personal return of Jesus Christ in power and great glory to judge both the living and the dead. We believe that the Scriptures set out only two destinies for humanity; the joyful prospect of eternal life in the presence of God for those who have received Christ and the agonising prospect of eternal separation from God for those who have rejected Him.