About OMF - New Zealand
We TRUST in God- Praying as an expression of faith is an integral part of our life and service
- We depend on God for holy living, fruit in our work and for all our needs
- We invite others to join us in a life of faith and prayer
In 1865, Hudson Taylor founded the China Inland Mission and prayed for “illing, skilful workers” to join him. With just £10, and “all the promises of God” he prayed consistently, and God met all his needs. A year later Hudson Taylor, his wife, children and 16 missionaries left England for China.
We are a FELLOWSHIP- We pursue our vision and mission together
- We care for and support each other and share our resources
- We encourage and enhance each other’s effectiveness
We want to foster an environment where OMF missionaries help and support each other. "When my husband was in hospital I was very touched to receive frozen meals from friends and colleagues. That, along with their kind messages and fervent prayers, made such a difference in that difficult time."
We are passionate to reach the UNREACHED- We focus on those who are overlooked or unengaged
- We constantly evaluate and innovate in line with our vision
- We take prayerful risks and persevere with the task
"God had broken through in answer to prayer and was working in a way we had never known before. It was certainly beyond our doing. People were turning to Christ from villages we had never visited."
We practice INCARNATIONAL ministry
- We identify with our neighbours and live an appropriate lifestyle
- We learn culture, language and worldview
- We work in ways that encourage indigenous movements
"All of the partners were convinced the Bible school had to be reproduced by Cambodian Christians. From the beginning, students were required to pay a small tuition fee or rice (which went toward meals) and provide their own transportation. Some traveled up to 50 km by bicycle and motorbike."
We PARTNER in ministry
- With sending churches globally
- With local churches in the ministry context
- With like-minded Christians and mission agencies
"In seeing the need for outreach, African church leaders also see their need for cross-cultural and theological training. That’s why OMF’s Diaspora Returnee Ministries (DRM) in Africa is partnering with African pastors and church leaders, training and equipping them to plant churches among the diaspora Chinese."
We lead from the MINISTRY context
- Our strategy is developed by those engaged in the ministry
- Our structures, administration and policies are designed to serve the ministry
- Our various centres work together to accomplish the ministry objectives.
"I’ve been involved in helping set up and develop three waste management projects that are now proving really successful and are supporting a gifted local evangelist and his alcohol recovery ministry."
We celebrate DIVERSITY in unity
- We value the diversity that God has given us
- We respect one another and maintain our unity in Christ
- We foster unity and cooperation among Christians
"One of the strange things about being an Australian-born Chinese, is that I find myself constantly living in tension between cultures. Over the years, I’ve noticed that there are usually three main types of Asians in Australia; and I’m not talking about the different ethnicities, but the way they identify."