Vietnam’s Pho noodle soup is almost elevated to the dish of Vietnam. Chicken, vegetarian or beef are all possible. It started originally as street food in Northern Vietnam, but due to domestic indifference, people spread over the country and crossed borders bringing their recipes with them. Luckily we can eat this delicious food at home too, instead of going all the way to Vietnam. If you like cooking yourself, try our recipe. This recipe will provide for four persons and we used beef to make it.
What do you need?
Ingredients for the broth:
Union – 1 or 2 whole unions, unpeeled
Ginger – about 60 grams
Beef soup bones with marrow – about 1 or 1.5 kg
Star anise –2 pods
Cloves – 3 whole cloves
Salt – 1 big table spoon
Fish sauce – 2 table spoons
Ingredients for the bowls:
Beef top sirloin – about 500 to 750 grams
Noodles – 400 gram dry noodles
Scallions – 4 pieces
Cilantro – half a cup
Grounded black pepper
Bean sprout (blanch first before adding to the dish)
Extra union for in the bowls
1. Heat the oven to 220 degrees C
2. If hot enough, roast the beef bones for about 1 hour, until they are browned
3. Roast the union and ginger until blackened and soft for about 45 minutes in the oven. If you use a grill, turn the unions and ginger so now and then so all sides become black.
Do not remove the skin until after this process.
Once this is done and they cooled off a bit, peel off the skin using a knife under running, half-warm water.
4. Take a stockpot and fill it with cold water. Put the beef bones in the pot and boil it hard for about 2 minutes. Empty and clean the pot. Then, brush of some residue or impurities from the bones.
5. Fill the stockpot again with 1 to 1.5 litre of water.
Slice the beef top sirloin in small slices.
Put the beef top sirloin, beef bones, union, ginger, star anise, fish sauce, cloves and salt in the pot and let it boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours.
Remove the beef top sirloin, let it cool down and put it in the refrigerator.
Let the rest shimmer in the pot for 4 to 6 hours.
After that, strain the broth into another pot and set it aside.
Right before dinner:
6. When preparing the noodles, take the broth from the refrigerator.
7. Before you cook the noodles, let them soak in a bowl with water for about 45 minutes. After that, cook them quickly for about one minute so they just warm up.
8. In the meantime, take the broth and heathen it up again
9. Divide the noodles and broth and garnish with the sirloin, cilantro, scallions, black pepper, chilli, extra unions, Thai basil and bean sprout.
Originally, the thin sliced sirloin should be added raw in the bowl. After pouring the hot broth over the sirloin and waiting for about 2 minutes, the sirloin will be no longer pink and can be served.