Praying for East Asia’s unreached people groups can feel overwhelming. Our prayers can feel generic and ineffective. Or, we feel overwhelmed by the needs and don’t know where to start.
The Shan people (also called the Shan Tai), are one of those people groups for whom you may not know how to pray. The 6 million Shan people live in remote villages throughout Myanmar, Thailand and China. They are Buddhist and for the most part, have never heard of the God who loves them.
Below is a list of five strategic, specific ways to pray for the Shan. In less than five minutes, you can pray to effect real change and connect more deeply with God’s heart for these precious people.*
- Radio and Media Ministries. Radio brings the gospel of Jesus Christ into communities and households that are normally very hard to access in parts of Myanmar, Thailand and China. Recently the distribution of gospel CDs and micro-SD cards for smartphones have also made an impact.
Lord, use the radio ministry to reach homes and villages where no believer has been.
- Church Leaders and Evangelists. Expat workers, near-culture Christians, and most importantly Shan evangelists and church leaders are key to building the kingdom of God among the Shan. Leaders and evangelists need training, anointing by God’s Spirit and protection from pride and spiritual attack as they minister.
Lord, may Lisu, Lahu, Wa and Kachin Christians who reside in Shan areas live out their faith and share the gospel among their Shan neighbors.
- Reproducible Church Planting. There are many areas where Shan live that have no witness for Jesus Christ. Outsiders have difficulty obtaining access to these areas. Visa issues, bad roads, war, language challenges and mountains are just a few of the road blocks to living in such areas.
Lord, thank you that the Holy Spirit is not limited by things we identify as barriers and is creative in his methods. Holy Spirit, do more than we can ask or imagine to bring the gospel into the lives of difficult-to-reach Shan people.
- Pioneering in Remote Areas. There are many areas where Shan live that have no witness for Jesus Christ. Outsiders have difficulty obtaining access to these areas. Visa issues, bad roads, war, language challenges and mountains are just a few of the road blocks to living in such areas.
Lord, may you reach into the lives and hearts of Shan people in remote areas through radio programs and dreams.
- Spiritual Breakthrough. The Shan are Buddhist with an animist influence. Dedication to Buddhism seeps deep into Shan culture. To be Shan is to be Buddhist. Drugs, AIDS and war also contribute to the Shan people’s need for the gospel.
Lord, please use the Shan people’s difficulties to open their eyes to their spiritual needs. Give them a spiritual hunger which cannot be quenched by anything but the gospel.
*These strategic prayer points were taken from the 5x5x5 Prayer Guide for the Shan. View the full pdf version HERE.