We are an international society of evangelical Christians united by God in the task of introducing East Asians to Jesus. Membership is open to Christians of every ethnic and cultural background.
Since 1865, OMF has been committed to share the good news of Jesus Christ in all its fullness with East Asia’s peoples to the glory of God. We work with local churches to proclaim Jesus Christ as the Saviour for all people.
We aim to see indigenous, biblical church-planting movements in each people group, evangelising their own people and reaching out in mission to others. To that end, we send willing, skilful workers to sixteen countries across Asia to live and work in a variety of capabilities- from direct roles in evangelism and discipleship to church planting and Bible translation, to professional arenas such as medicine, education, social work and communications, even in business management, administrative and logistical support to keep things running.
A challenge for OMF as the world gets smaller is to harness the challenges and opportunities it presents with a range of strategic initiatives for introducing East Asians to Jesus.
We share the good news of Jesus Christ in all its fullness with East Asia’s peoples to the glory of God.
Through God’s grace we aim to see an indigenous biblical church movement in each people group of East Asia, evangelising their own people and reaching out in mission to other peoples.
Pioneering – Reaching the Unreached
Where the church does not exist we work to see a multiplying church movement established. We do this with other Christians wherever possible. We use whatever methods that are both effective and glorifying to God. We preserve in sharing until His church is established. Where there are restrictions or barriers to open mission work, we serve through other approaches while continuing our goal to establish Christ’s church there.
Where the church is small and Christians are few, we work to see that place, society or people saturated with the gospel and churches established in every community. We aim to establish churches that are faithful to the Scriptures, are a genuine expression of local culture, are reaching out to their own people and other peoples, and are able to care for themselves while taking their place as part of the worldwide body of Christ. We respect, serve with and partner local churches and Christians where we work. Where there is already an established pattern of church order and government, we do not interfere with it.
Perfecting and Discipling
We contribute to the growth and maturity of the body of Christ through publishing, student work and other ministries of discipling and training. Where the church is weak, we seek to strengthen it through teaching and encouragement. Where the church has lost its zeal, we seek to see it renewed. As an expression of our holistic concern to share the whole gospel with the whole person, we engage in ministries to the needy, always relating these ministries to the church.
Mobilising East Asians
We mobilise resources worldwide to advance and sustain the evangelisation of East Asia. We present the needs of East Asia to churches and individuals to stimulate prayer, challenge Christians to service, and encourage sacrificial giving. We see prayer as essential to the work. We mobilize and inform a worldwide group of praying supporters.
Networking & Partnering
As an international team of men and women from around the world, we value diversity and partnership. We partner churches in sending countries to mobilize, develop, and support members for effective service. We network and partner with other mission organizations that share our goals.
Our motivation in mission
Our motivation in mission is to glorify God and thus we are united in our common purpose of the urgent evangelisation of East Asia’s peoples and the mobilisation of the church world-wide to that end.
We are committed to the Bible’s authority over our lives and ministry, and gladly submit ourselves to the lordship of Christ.
We seek to live authentic Christian lives that flow from dependence upon the indwelling Christ through the power of the Holy spirit.
We endeavour to practice a pattern of life both personal and corporate which reflects trust in the living God for material provision, victory over sin and fruitfulness in ministry.
We acknowledge prayer as a vital part of our fellowship together and thus set aside times for both individual and corporate prayer. We recognise that we are engaged in a spiritual warfare and depend upon the prayers of our supporting churches and ministry partners to see spiritual breakthrough and victory in ministry.
1. We TRUST in God
- Praying as an expression of faith is an integral part of our life and service
- Depending on God for holy living, fruit in our work and for all our needs
- Inviting others to join us in a life of faith and prayer
2. We are a FELLOWSHIP
- Pursuing our vision and mission together
- Caring for and supporting each other and sharing resources
- Encouraging and enhancing each other’s effectiveness
3. We are Passionate to Reach the UNREACHED
- Keeping a sharp focus on the neglected frontiers
- Constantly evaluating and innovating in line with our vision
- Taking prayerful risks and persevering with the task God has given us
4. We Practice INCARNATIONAL Ministry
- Identifying with the people and living an appropriate lifestyle
- Learning culture, language and worldview
- Working in ways that encourage indigenous movements
5. We PARTNER in Ministry
- with sending churches globally
- with local churches in the ministry context
- with likeminded Christians and mission agencies
6. We LEAD from the MINISTRY Context
- Strategy is developed by those engaged in the ministry
- Structures, administration and policies are designed to serve the ministry
- Home and field work together to accomplish the ministry objectives
7. We Celebrate DIVERSITY IN UNITY
- Valuing the diversity that God has given us in OMF, such as ethnic, denominational, generational, personality, gifts, gender
- Respecting one another and maintaining our unity in Christ
- Fostering unity and cooperation among Christians
In the light of our nature as an international, cross-cultural, Christian mission committed to glorify God through the urgent evangelisation of East Asia’s millions, and for the sake of clarity and integrity in all our work and relationships, we humbly declare the following fundamental truths of the Christian faith and mission:
- We believe in the one, holy, sovereign, creating and redeeming God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the divine inspiration and entire trustworthiness of the Bible, its infallible teaching and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct; and its normative value for all peoples, at all times, in all cultures.
- We believe that all people without distinction are made in the image of God, but all are now sinners and have incurred both God’s holy wrath and their own shame and guilt. All are therefore in utter need of redemption.
- We believe in Jesus Christ our Lord, the incarnate Son of God, uniquely God-man and the only Saviour. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, sacrificial death, bodily resurrection and ascension. We believe He has achieved the final defeat of Satan and all evil powers.
- We believe in the justification of sinners by God’s grace, through faith in Christ alone.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit and His convicting, regenerating, sanctifying and reviving work. He guides and empowers individuals and churches in their service to God and all people.
- We believe in the unity and priesthood of all believers who together form the one, holy, universal, apostolic church.
- We believe in the visible, personal return of Jesus Christ in power and great glory to judge both the living and the dead. We believe that the Scriptures set out only two destinies for humanity; the joyful prospect of eternal life in the presence of God for those who have received Christ and the agonising prospect of eternal separation from God for those who have rejected Him.
As an evangelistic mission, in fellowship with local churches in many countries, we are called to be a worshiping, praying and caring fellowship committed to worldwide evangelism. We rejoice in our partnership with local churches on all continents, and pray that God will make us a humble, vigorous, attractive fellowship, bringing the good news especially to those who have never heard of Jesus Christ.
OMF International, formerly the China Inland Mission (CIM), was founded by J.Hudson Taylor in 1865. CIM was a forerunner of the faith missions movement, which became one of the most respected missions working in China.
Hudson Taylor and the mission’s early pioneers felt compelled to obey Christ’s command to preach the Gospel to all and committed their lives to planting churches in every inland province of China. In 1951, CIM made a reluctant exodus from China. The leadership responded to God’s challenge to redeploy CIM missionaries to the East Asian nations that rimmed China.
This represented a new beginning for CIM, which was renamed Overseas Missionary Fellowship in 1964 and became OMF International in 1993. As part of an international body of more than 1400 members from more than 40 nations reaching over 70 people groups in East Asia, OMF Singapore is committed to mobilise Singaporeans for the urgent evangelisation of East Asia’s millions.