Japan

%e3%82%b9%e3%82%af%e3%83%aa%e3%83%bc%e3%83%b3%e3%82%b7%e3%83%a7%e3%83%83%e3%83%88-2016-11-24-13-09-39

Tsunami photo taken from a cliff in Shichigahama, Miyagi prefecture after the Fukushima earthquake, Nov. 22nd, 2016.

 

Earthquake Deja-vu

Deja-vu is the sense that an event is repeating itself. The earthquake came on Tuesday at 6:59 a.m. The shaking increased and increased and just wouldn’t stop. “Oh no,” we thought, “not again.” Soon the speakers up and down the coast were blaring warnings about a tsunami, “Escape to high ground, don’t go near the coast” Exactly the same as the 2011 Great North East Japan Disaster. But this time I was ready! I grabbed my camera and headed for the cliff. And this is what I saw.

Link to YouTube Tsunami Video

It was a small tsunami with no fatalities but it was a chilling reminder for many who lost loved ones (20,000 died) or who lost everything except their lives (many are still in temporary housing) five years ago. Pray for them that they will flee to the only place of spiritual safety, Jesus Christ, and for us as we evangelise them.

Written by Rod Thomas (OMF Japan Missionary).

For more stories from OMF Japan missionaries visit here.

With less than 1% of Japan’s 126 million knowing Jesus, by God’s grace we aim to see a vibrant church impacting every community.

How can you be a part of this important work?

Japan Population

  • Population: 126,534,536
  • Density: 336 per sq. km
  • 99% Japanese [the other 1% are mostly Korean]
  • nearly 80% live in cities
  • Only 13% of the land can be built upon, so real density is much greater. In and around Tokyo, the capital, live about 30 million people.
read more
home_panels_aboutus2

OMF Japan

Who we are, our history and core values.

read more
home_panels_ministry1

What work is being done?

Church Planting, Pioneering Ministries and Partnerships.

read more
home_panels_stories1

How is God at work?

Some of our workers share their experiences of God’s work in Japan.

read more
home_panels_pray1

Join us in prayer

Find out how you can support God’s work in Japan through prayer. Use our prayer guides and news updates.

read more
home_panels_opportunities1

Get involved!

What are the current opportunities are in Japan. How can you be a part of this work?

read more
home_panels_resources1

Learn more

Books and resources on mission, Japan and OMF.

read more
home_panels_jlcc1

JLCC

Based in Sapporo, the Japanese Language & Culture Centre provides new workers with a range of learning opportunities. Find out more about becoming a JLCC student.

read more
home_panels_projects1

Support OMF Projects

Find out how you can support projects that OMF is involved in, including the ongoing support work in the areas affected by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

read more
home_panels_contact

Make an enquiry

Get in contact with OMF Japan.

contact us