We’re a global fellowship of Christians with a heart for East Asia.
Serving the church, sharing the gospel.
Our work is as diverse as the communities and cities we reach. From planting churches to running businesses. From practicing medicine to training Sunday school teachers.
In every area of life, we aim to present the good news of Jesus – in a way that’s right for the culture, and for the long term.
“World mission is not a competition. We partner with sending churches globally. With local churches across East Asia. And with like-minded Christians and mission agencies wherever they are.”
Dr. Patrick Fung, General Director, OMF
In 1865, Hudson Taylor founded the China Inland Mission and prayed for “Willing, skilful workers” to join him. With just £10, and “all the promises of God” he prayed consistently, and God met all his needs.
In 1866 Hudson Taylor, his wife, children and 16 missionaries left England for China.
Hudson believed the gospel would only take root if missionaries were willing to identify with the culture of the people they wanted to reach.
Now as OMF, we believe that too. 150 years on, our work continues with the same pioneering spirit. The same vision. The same desire to see an authentic Christian witness flourish across East Asia. In partnership with local churches, worldwide.
“I have found that there are three stages in every great work of God: first, it is impossible, then it is difficult, then it is done.”
Hudson Taylor, founder
Buddhism and Islam influence much of East Asia. Shintoism shapes Japan, Confucianism and Communism shape China. Millions are atheist. Many more follow traditional religions.
But what about Jesus? His church, His message?
In some nations, the church is growing rapidly. In others, people are slowly opening up.
Yet many of East Asia’s billions have never heard the good news about Christ. Often, local churches lack the resources to reach the unreached.
As OMF, we continue for them.
“I was praying about starting a training centre, a place where people could learn professional skills and also hear about Jesus. A place where we could grow as disciples together.”
OMF partner describing how she came to start a micro enterprise in the Gobi Desert, Mongolia
Through God’s grace we aim to see an indigenous biblical church movement in each people group of East Asia, evangelising their own people and reaching out in mission to other peoples.
We share the good news of Jesus Christ
in all its fullness with East Asia’s peoples
to the glory of God.
As an evangelistic mission, in fellowship with local churches in many countries, we are called to be a worshipping, praying and caring fellowship committed to world-wide evangelism. We rejoice in our partnership with local churches on all continents, and pray that God will make us a humble, vigorous, attractive fellowship, bringing the good news especially to those who have never heard of Jesus Christ.
1. We TRUST in God
Praying as an expression of faith is an integral part of our life and service
Depending on God for holy living, fruit in our work and for all our needs
Inviting others to join us in a life of faith and prayer
2. We are a FELLOWSHIP
Pursuing our vision and mission together
Caring for and supporting each other and sharing resources
Encouraging and enhancing each other’s effectiveness
3. We are Passionate to Reach the UNREACHED
Keeping a sharp focus on the neglected frontiers
Constantly evaluating and innovating in line with our vision
Taking prayerful risks and persevering with the task
4. We Practice INCARNATIONAL Ministry
Identifying with the people and living an appropriate lifestyle
Learning culture, language and worldview
Working in ways that encourage indigenous movements
5. We PARTNER in Ministry
With sending churches globally
With local churches in the ministry context
With like-minded Christians and mission agencies
6. We LEAD from the MINISTRY Context
Strategy is developed by those engaged in the ministry
Structures, administration and policies are designed to serve the ministry
Home and field work together to accomplish the ministry objectives.
7. We Celebrate DIVERSITY IN UNITY
Valuing the diversity that God has given us – such as ethnic, denominational, generational, personality, gifts, gender
Respecting one another and maintaining our unity in Christ
Fostering unity and cooperation among Christians
In the light of our nature as an international, cross-cultural, Christian mission committed to glorify God through the urgent evangelization of East Asia’s millions, and for the sake of clarity and integrity in all our work and relationships, we humbly declare the following fundamental truths of the Christian faith and mission:
- We believe in the one, holy, sovereign, creating and redeeming God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the divine inspiration and entire trustworthiness of the Bible, its infallible teaching and supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct; and its normative value for all peoples, at all times, in all cultures. We believe that all people without distinction are made in the image of God, but all are now sinners and have incurred both God’s holy wrath and their own shame and guilt. All are therefore in utter need of redemption.
- We believe in Jesus Christ our Lord, the incarnate Son of God, uniquely God-man and the only Savior. We believe in His virgin birth, sinless life, sacrificial death, bodily resurrection and ascension. We believe He has achieved the final defeat of Satan and all evil powers.
- We believe in the justification of sinners by God’s grace, through faith in Christ alone.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit and His convicting, regenerating, sanctifying and reviving work. He guides and empowers individuals and churches in their service to God and all people.
- We believe in the unity and priesthood of all believers who together form the one, holy, universal, apostolic church.
- We believe in the visible, personal return of Jesus Christ in power and great glory to judge both the living and the dead. We believe that the Scriptures set out only two destinies for humanity; the joyful prospect of eternal life in the presence of God for those who have received Christ and the agonizing prospect of eternal separation from God for those who have rejected Him.